Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Confessions of the Starving Artist - 3/6/08




We watch the news
and search for clues
that we can use
to inform our views
But all we see's a shroud
for cryin' out loud

Just when I'm about to go mad from HillBamaCain, the three-headed beast that feeds the real monster - i.e., the media - along comes open mic night. Whew!

The last Friday of each month has become a great thing. We get every level of performer in every genre. People e-mail and call ahead to get on the list. Some people come to support their friend's or relative's performance, and others just come to listen. Where else can you get such a varied show? Again, on Friday, February 29, some Starving Artist regulars like Love, Mara Jade, played. And again there were people who've never been to the "Artist." There were newbies "testing the waters." There were pros testing new material. There were people who for whatever reason stopped playing years ago and now were testing themselves, starting anew. To all that perform at open mic night at SAC&G, I salute you.

For me Saturday night, March 1, was a bill that grew from our open mic. Awhile ago, a circle of friends from the planet of really nice guys came to our open mic and individually did their thing. I've hired most of them. The rotation at the Artist is now about four months. Rather than make them all wait, I took this loose affiliation of like-minded individuals - this Circle of Friends - and offered them an evening to fill however they wanted. What they gave me was a diverse and entertaining show, playing separately and in pairs. They played folk, blues and pop in their various styles. Under the leadership of Pleasant Bud, the show was set up in the most excellent order. It flowed with both diversity and continuity. The performers were Joe Cromwell, singing "hooker from NYC," among others; Iris Cohen (folk) with Pete Tamburrini, doing a great John Prine tune; Phil Dollard, a blues dude who played the blues; Kelly Flint, who will be back at the Artist solo in June (she, by the way, is married to Lipbone's bassist); Patrick Matteson, also a featured solioist at SAC&G (next gig, with Pleasant Bud, on Friday, April 4) who filled the room with his beautiful songs, voice and guitar; Lou & Gigi who were entertaining and kept the crowd happy, and Plesant Bud himself doing his pleasant thing. Both their Circle of Friends and my own grew by many that night. Thanks Bud - and Circle.

On Sunday, March 2, the show was a child-oriented one that taught and inspired kids and adults alike. Very positive and uplifting songs written by school teacher Glo helped kids (and grown-ups, I hope) learn to deal with each other better. She understands kids in a remarkable way. They spun when the song said spin, clapped when it said clap, and stomped when it said stomp. I looked under the table and saw parents stomping too. These were original songs she sings to her students. Musical accompaniment was provided by none other than jazz (and Starving Artist Cafe) legend Lou Volpe (who, by the way, is the "Featured Artist of the Week" this week at GuitarPlayerZen.com). The songs crackled with crisp melodic lines while somehow staying in the realm of children's music. Neat trick, huh? After the show, we had family dinner, cleaned up and my wife and I went shopping. I forgot all about the elections and enjoyed my work. It's a beautiful thing.

Do me a favor - no, do both of us a favor - and click the links in this blog. Also, "Click on Glick" at Neil Young's Living With War Web Site (#99 - Baby This One's For You; #102 - Bitter Tears). And drop me a line online by e-mail and let me know which of my songs you like best. Let me know how you feel about the Starving Artist. Say a prayer for my friend in Italy Enrico Capparucci. Come by this weekend and hear Thieves & Poets (Friday, March 7), and the City Island Jazz Quartet (Sunday, March 9). And I'd love to see you at my show this Saturday, March 8, starting at 8:30; be there for new songs, surprise musical guests and the debut of the Elliott Glick Band. Whatever you do, come in and live right!


Elliott Glick

No comments: