Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Confessions of the Starving Artist - 5/14/08

"Confessions of the Starving Artist" - 5/14/08

"I don't try to be anyone
I barely try to be myself
And I'm not looking for another one
I want you and nobody else."
Happy Mother's Day, Monica

Friday night, May 9, marked the return of my friend Amura, a real blues man. A lot of us are students of the blues. Some of us are virtuoso players that are great students of the blues. I love them all. I love the blues. Amura's blues are sophisticated and they are his. The real deal. His MySpace says: "Sounds like: the places within." Exactly. I'm going to have to do a duet with this guy and get some of that mojo on one of my songs. In addition to writing, playing and singing his own compositions, he also plays my cafe behind Leo as second guitar. After two hours (he took no break), we knew him very well. The songs are real and they say it all. I know I sound like Bruno Tonioli on "Dancing With the Stars," but I give him a 10! Amura was accompanied by Keino Lover on conga. Keino plays hot and he plays to the singer - a great secret for drummers and percussionists. Amura got an encore and will get a new date to play again. His songs on MySpace offer a good mix of who he is and what he doees. Click the link and hear it now. He's the same live.

Saturday night is for partying. This Saturday, May 10, we had a big wild party. Lipbone Redding returned to the Starving Artist. The "prodigal son" came home. Lipbone has been touring the country for the past six months or so, and we haven't seen him. It was on our stage that he transformed into Lipbone and told the legend of he and his imaginary friend Roberto who plays well...nevermind. You come see this genious performer. Great songs, great stories, great singing, great band and miles of personality. I could talk or write for hours, and you'd think I was crazy or full of it. All I'm gonna add is that Lipbone is a voicestrumentalist. He plays a trombone that isn't there. You have to see him live. You have to do it soon or it will cost you because Lipbone Redding is starting to make it in this business. We have him booked for November. After that, we can only hope. He works hard. He deserves it. Check out his web site and MySpace and hear the incredible mix of soul, funk, blues and country. I've even heard him do India-influenced music! See and hear for yourself. (There's even a video about him on our music-artists page.) We've got him live on our CD, "Live at the Starving Artist."

We cut the weekend short to celebrate Mother's Day on Sunday, May 11. I have four children and three (soon to be four) grandchildren. Life is good. Much of the good in life comes from love. Much of the love in my life comes from family. Those that nurture that family are a blessing. Thanks Monica, I love you. Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there!

Now, go click the links. Then, "click on Glick" at Neil Young's Living With War Web Site and "click on Glick" (#97 - Bitter Tears; #96 - Baby This One's For You). Support and buy live, independent music. Check our calendar and make reservations - we fill up fast lately. And for God's sake, buy the CDs and downloads (especially mine at CD Baby and Verizon V Cast. And come in, and live right.


Elliott Glick

No comments: